MOCA in the Classroom
Bring MOCA to your classroom!
Have a museum educator come to your school to facilitate an interactive outreach program designed to delve deeper into the Chinese American experience, foster critical thinking and communication skills, and make history more hands-on. Outreach programs range from an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half per session.
Voices of the Past and Present: Defining the Chinese American Experience
During this 3-session program, students will take on the role of historical detectives as they examine diary entries, photographs, and other personal artifacts, each revealing diverse facets of the Chinese American experience. By engaging in role-play, creating classified ads, and crafting biographies, students will actively explore the Chinese American experience, past and present. Participants will become familiar with the push and pull factors, which drove Chinese immigrants to America; the areas of work they entered upon arrival; the ways in which Chinese Americans adapted to their new lives; and the lasting contributions they made to American society.
To arrange an off-site program, please complete a reservation form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 212-619-4720.
MOCA in the Classroom Reservation Policies
- Reservations for MOCA in the Classroom sessions must be made at least four weeks in advance.
- There is a minimum of 15 students and a maximum of 30 students per classroom per session.
- A deposit of $50 is required to secure your reservation and must be paid upon booking. The deposit can be paid via check, credit card, or by using a deposit slip.
- • The remaining balance must be paid prior to your 1st MOCA in the Classroom session.
- If we do not receive your payment in full prior to your visit, we reserve the right to cancel your MOCA in the Classroom visit.
- If your group must cancel the visit, the museum requires a minimum of 48 hours advance notice, or your deposit will be forfeited.
- We accept checks and credit cards for payment. Please make checks payable to ‘Museum of Chinese in America.’
- MOCA in the Classroom requests that classrooms be equipped with PowerPoint or a projector. If this is not possible, please make a note of it.
- MOCA in the Classroom will provide all other necessary materials, with the exception of standard classroom supplies like crayons, markers, colored pencils, tape, and glue sticks.
- MOCA requests that schools be located within close proximity of public transportation.