Museum Educator Job Description
The Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) presents the living history, heritage, culture and diverse experiences of Chinese Americans through exhibitions, education and public programs. MOCA’s Education Department serves over 10,000 children and adults each year through guided tours, teacher workshops, family programs, and afterschool and outreach activities.
MOCA is seeking a part time Museum Educator to lead group tours and provide interactive experiences for K-12, college, and adult audiences on-and-off-site. The Museum Educator will develop and facilitate programming steeped in the Chinese American experience and MOCA’s rotating exhibitions and grounded in anti-bias education, critical thinking, and inquiry-based dialogue. Additionally, the Museum Educator may lead customized experiences for private groups and community partners and assist with family and educator programs, as needed.
This position is part time with 8.5 guaranteed hours per week, plus the opportunity to take on more hours.
Pay: $20/hour for the first 3 months, until successful evaluation; $22/hour thereafter. $30/hr for bilingual tours.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Conduct virtual school programs and in-person guided gallery and neighborhood walking tours for K-12, college, and adult audiences.
- Facilitate in-person or virtual customized experiences, including inquiry-based conversations and related hands-on activities, in the Museum’s galleries for K-12, college, and adult audiences.
- Tailor tour content to align with school groups’ learning goals and classroom curriculum.
- Adapt tour content and delivery for groups with special needs, English Language Learners, and other diverse audiences.
- Maintain and monitor gallery program supplies and spaces, including touch objects, worksheets, and Learning Center materials.
- Contribute to content-driven and exhibition-based activities and resources, such as gallery guides, special exhibition tours, MOCA Heroes magazines, lesson plans, blog posts, and classroom companions.
- Assist with the Museum’s quarterly Family Festivals and other family programs, as needed.
- Facilitate workshops and programs offsite, such as community outreach events and MOCA in the Classroom visits.
- Assist with marketing campaigns, targeted outreach, and in building sustained community partnerships to grow our school programs audience.
- Participate in bi-monthly educator gatherings.
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Two plus years’ experience working with children ages K-12, especially in museums, informal learning environments, or schools.
- Regular availability 2-3 days per week. Occasional weekend availability.
- Proficiency facilitating Zoom meetings and webinars.
- Strong interest in museum education.
- BA in Education, History Education, Art Education, Museum Studies, or related field. Background in Asian American Studies, American Studies, U.S. History, Art History, or Chinese Culture.
- Prior museum teaching experience.
- Experience interacting with diverse groups.
- Experience working with groups with special needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to engage audiences using learner-centered teaching strategies such as object-based learning, visual thinking strategies, and inquiry-based dialogue.
- Bilingual Mandarin or Cantonese highly preferred.
Please apply via https://mocanyc.bamboohr.com/careers/8
Applications will be accepted from October 22 – November 13, 2022.
The Museum of Chinese in the Americas is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone meets 100% of the qualifications for a role. If much of this job description describes you, then please apply for this role.