The development and external affairs intern at the Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA) will participate in organizing and implementing institutional and individual giving initiatives, assisting with special events. This opportunity provides the intern with a unique opportunity to gain skills and knowledge in finding and securing sources of funding for the operational budget and programs in the museum and non-profit field. They will work closely with and be mentored by MOCA’s development team.
• Create and update donor profiles in Tessitura database; assist with donor tracking, donor engagement, and stewardship.
• Assist staff in creating reports, and optimizing Tessitura database usage.
• Conduct research on prospective donors or funders.
• Draft inquiry letters, acknowledgement letters, and other donor correspondence; coordinate stewardship mailing.
• Assist with MOCA’s fundraising and special events, including the annual Lunar New Year Celebration, Annual Celebration of Community Heroes Benefit, Golf Outing Fundraiser, and Legacy Awards Gala. Support Exhibition Opening Receptions, Signature Events, and MOCA 40th Anniversary Events.
• Current undergraduate OR graduate student in any field. Recent graduate is welcome.
• An interest in nonprofit/museum fundraising and development communications.
• Excellent writing and research skills, as well as strong verbal communication skills.
• Experience with relational databases (i.e. Tessitura) preferred. Must have willingness to learn.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including advanced functions in word, excel, and powerpoint.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Demonstration of initiative, flexibility, and resourcefulness in working effectively on multiple projects.
• An interest in Asian American Studies /Chinese American History preferred.
• Work experience in a professional office environment preferred.
• Bilingual Mandarin and/or Cantonese a plus.