The Education Department supports Museum of Chinese in America (MOCA)’s mission by creating dynamic learning opportunities for individuals and groups from diverse communities. MOCA’s educational programs engage participants in an active and creative learning process that makes history come alive, instills a love for lifelong learning, sharpens basic skills, and presents guided opportunities for visitors to make connection to broader issues of immigration, community, and social justice.
• Assist with group tours and education programs
• Develop theme or exhibition-based workshops, lesson plans and curriculum
• Assist and lead weekend workshops and family programs
• Evaluate, record and analyze survey data
• General day-to-day activities that support the Education Department
• General administrative functions (e.g. copying, mailing, faxing)
• A strong background and/or interest in informal education, community outreach, art and visual culture education and digital learning
• Experience working with diverse audiences, such as youth, families or special needs audiences
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to engage the public
• Excellent research and writing skills
• An interest and/or background in teaching social studies or related fields, anti-bias education, social justice, and community engagement.
• Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment; handle multiple tasks at once; adhere to deadlines
• Skill in using computer networks and software (databases and spreadsheets); knowledge of Adobe Design programs (including Photoshop, Illustrator and In Design) preferred but not required
• Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required