MOCA presents at Amplifying Multilingual Voices and Learning in K-12 Education
June 1, 2022, 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
The NYC Department of Education’s Division of Multilingual Learners (DML) is excited to invite K-12 educators to the virtual culminating project, Amplifying Multilingual Voices and Learning in K-12 Education: A CR-SE Project!
As a result of continuous collaboration with Latinx, Asian, and Arabic educators and their students, community-based organizations, CUNY, local and nationwide museums, and nonprofits, we will introduce a CR-SE Knowledge and Language-Building Project-Based Learning (PBL) design and engage participants in dialogue, centering the following question:
Why is it essential that we amplify the voices of multilingual learners, their families, and their communities to amplify learning in K-12 education? Why language literacy through history and civic engagement?
Activities include (click here for the program):
1. Welcoming Remarks – Mirza Sanchez-Medina, Chief of the Division of Multilingual Learners (DML)
2. Keynote Speaker – Dr. Ramona Hernandez, Director, CUNY Dominican Studies Institute & Professor of Sociology, The Colin L. Powell School for Civic and Global Leadership/Division of Social Science, The City College of New York
3. Mini-Workshop Sessions: A Newcomer CR-SE PBL Reflection
- NY’s Little Syria: Birthplace of Arab America
- The Power of Our Stories
- Building Community in Chinatown & Beyond
- We Are Not New to the United States
- Oral History & Storytelling: Amplifying Unheard Voices
- Amplifying Arab American Voices through Education
4. A Panel Discussion & Reflection Featuring:
- Luz Maria Rojas & Lisa Fung-Fernandes, School Assistant Principals. New York City Department of Education
- Dr. Debbie Almontaser, former School Principal and author of the book, Leading While Muslim: The Experiences of American Muslim Principals After 9/11
- Dr. Carla Espana, Co-author of the book, En Comunidad: Centering the Voices and Experiences of Bilingual Latinx Students, and co-founder of the En Comunidad Collective
- Dr. Raquel M. Ortiz, Anthropologist and author of many children’s books, including Vicki and A Summer of Change!